Five Wall Décor Trends to Watch In 2020
It’s in with the new year and out with 2019. January is approaching fast and with it all the décor trends that will be gracing our homes. Designers are already talking about the home décor trends for 2020, and this is what they’re saying:
Nature is a Growing Trend
It turns out nature isn’t going anywhere this year. New, intriguing and creativity inspiring details of this “reuse-reduce-recycle” approach in the interior décor is blooming in every home. From nature-inspired wall paper prints to vertical gardens – it’s all getting a whole lot greener. Materials like wood and stone are also a great way to transport us to the outside world.
Tranquillity is a Matter of Fact
The new year sees interior décor shifting away from cool greys and towards more yellow based neutrals. If you’re going to paint, then embrace warm neutrals, from oatmeal and natural buff. Beige makes a comeback as the perfect base colour to build upon. While we wait to see what Pantone’s colour of the year is going to be, Dulux Colour has given us its colour of the year 2020, Tranquil Dawn.
It’s All About the Art
There’s nothing more personal and authentic than the art we select for our homes. From vintage and antique gems to affordable art prints created by aspiring illustrators, any piece that expresses who we are is the best for our walls. However, these trends might help you on the path to discovering your own taste:
- Line Art: Inspired by the drawings of Picasso and Matisse, this omnipresent art trend uses the power of negative space to make a dramatic visual statement using only simple black lines on the white background.
- Female Figures: Celebrating female empowerment, artists are recognising the strong and silent female leaders in the world through earthy and retro-inspired art pieces.
- Statement Portraits: Beautifully styled, these contemporary art pieces show strong, fearless faces that speak about emotions and human connection.
- Bold Abstracts: Using negative space, bold abstract art combines different shapes and colours to create a sensual, but a loud statement. Everything from dramatic street art-inspired shapes and colours to soft, feminine stains and geometry will bring visual stillness into the room.
- Retro Mania: Vintage school charts are making a great comeback. But nothing is new. Browse local flea markets for finds, or try vintage-inspired posters and space race references.
The Shape of Opulence
Geometric shapes have left a lasting impression and will be the focus points of many homes again this year. With bold geometrics, hand-drawn sketches and playful blocks of colour this look is all about expressing personality in our homes. Bold patterns and punchy colours lend a more playful approach to styling a decor.
Another trend we will be seeing more of in 2020 is large scale art and wall murals. This is going to make its way into our homes via wallpaper, decals or large-scale artworks. Essentially the take-home message is ‘go big or go home’.
The Texture Mixture
The overwhelming return of carpets in furnishing trends clearly reflects the desire to resume the convivial dimension: the bright colours, with some touches of primary tones on more neutral backgrounds, allow to give the walls immediate vivacity.
Turn a bold, Inca-inspired rug into the bright focal point on your wall, or invest in coloured, oval tapestry that will speak for itself.
If your interior décor has you banging your head against a brick wall, then it’s time to get in touch with a DDL style consultant! Our interior décor specialists will help you find the best and most beautiful wall décor to turn your home into a castle. We’ll also provide you with the latest wallpaper designs and personalised high-resolution prints. Visit our showroom in Kramerville, Sandton for even more wall inspiration.